20 September 2009

The first leg (Journey of a thousand miles)

This old road is graceful and familiar.
I travel it often.
During this time of the week and at this hour of the morning, the traffic is light. There are seldom any distractions.



I ride north on the old Route 195 and pass intersecting dirt roads named after the farmers who tamed the land; Babb road, East Whitman, South Hardesty, then Whittier, Davis and Bradshaw.

The green expanse of the Palouse in June stretches out from horizon to horizon, tumbling across the landscape like waves on the ocean; unencumbered by the harsh constructs of man.


There are no grid-like street patterns, no buildings or sky-scrapers tearing up the rhythm of the hills like a dissonant chord.

The hand of man has been here though, laid down by his plow. A soft concerto, easy on the soul, things are tended here, not developed; Pianissimo.



As I ride, I take in the scent of turned earth and wildflowers in bloom.
The wind is cool and soft.
My anxieties relax.

This is the beginning of my Vacation.

Ride Well

E.T.

10 comments:

mq01 said...

what a FABULOUS looking road and pics!! ride safe and enjoy your vacation.

bikerted said...

I'm turning green. Great looking road.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and poetic.

Ride on,
Torch

Lance said...

Well-stated Earl. I look forward to the subsequent legs of your journey. The Palouse looks beautiful in Fall.

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

Wonderful post...dramatic images--kinda makes me want to leave work and start up the bike and hit the road! Reminds me of my quiet trip through Kansas. Thanks.

RazorsEdge2112 said...

You doing OK, Earl? Haven't seen you around for a while.

Webster World said...

Looks as if would be a great place to ride.

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

Very nice post--make me wish for the trip I took out west! Love the pics too!

Anonymous said...

Nice article you got here. It would be great to read more concerning this theme. Thanks for giving that information.
Sexy Lady
Girls for companionship in London

Charlie said...

5000 miles later? Poke Poke!!