15 April 2008

Singing in the Rain

The weather has been touch and go lately around here. Saturday and Sunday, we were blessed with perfect riding weather and the opportunity since last November to keep the electric vest turned off (I still wear it underneath my riding jacket though).

When I woke up on Monday, the temperature was 50 degrees, so I was definitely commuting via two wheels. What I didn't really anticipate in my premature glee, was the Toadstrangler that awaited me half way through my commute. I am not a "fair weather rider" by any means and throughout my riding career, I've grown accustomed to the odd looks from my fellow motorists while riding in less than perfect conditions. But it always seems to be the first "questionable" day (for others, not me) of the year when I get the most disturbing looks.

As I walked into the office with the thighs and shins of my pants saturated with water, and a fairly steady stream dripping off of my jacket, I was confronted by a dozen confused faces taking in the view. Some people just don't get it I suppose; in another month or so, they'll be used to this sight and my stubborn attitude to ride will soon fade from the topic of conversation whenever I leave the room.

Truth be told though, it's not really that bad...........However, I don't think they believe me.

2 comments:

Doug C said...

"Truth be told though, it's not really that bad...........However, I don't think they believe me."

This is so true! It was 27ยบ when I left the house this morning but the ride was great! So why does everyone ask me if I was cold if they're not going to believe me?

Stephen said...

Doug C. I also have tried to explain to them that if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't ride.